Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today would have been my mother's 66th birthday, and I have been reflecting on the ways that she has influenced me:
  • She made holidays special - as a result of her example I take special care in decorating, cooking, and celebrating special occasions with my own family.
  • She had a small but active social life outside of our house - because of her I seek out women with whom I can form close friendships.
  • She took care to document our family tree and to pass along stories of our family - I look forward to sharing these and my own stories with James and May.
  • She was the very first person to tell me I would make a good mother - whenever I am in doubt of myself I hear her words and feel up for trying harder.
  • She was never tied up in her looks, or if she was she was sure I didn't know about it. I never heard her criticizing her body or bemoaning the signs of aging. She set an example of self-acceptance and security in appearances. I think that women who constantly worry about weight have daughters who do so, as well. I thank my mother for not passing along bad habits in this area.
Happy Birthday, Mom. I love you.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

What a wonderful post. Your mom was a great person, and I'm am sure she is so proud of who you've become.

Happy Mother's Day, Krissy. I hope its a memorable one.

Lots of love!

RosieC said...

Krissy, that is beautiful. You mom is surely someone I would have liked to know, and I'm happy that I know you, since you're so much like her.

Happy Mother's Day!
Miss you!
Rosie :)