Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Oranges

Baby May enjoying her first taste of orange.
James juicing an orange like a pro - helping to make holiday bread.

I don't know what it is about Christmas that makes me crave and appreciate oranges so much more than the rest of the year. Maybe it's the fact that this is the season for cute, easy to peel clementines. Maybe it's that they brighten up this snowy season with their juicy, sunshine infused sweetness. Maybe I just love the smell of pomanders - those clove-speckled orange air fresheners. Or maybe I really was affected by my Mom's stories. She used to tell me about how as a child she knew she would always receive an orange in the toe of her stocking on Christmas morning - a special gift considering it was the 1950s, winter, and Detroit. At any rate, I'm excited to integrate the taste and smell of oranges into my own kids' holiday memories.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

My Grandma (well, Santa) used to leave an orange in everyone's stocking as well. She told me that when she was a child it was one of the only times she was able to experience the taste of an orange. Her family was poor, and there was war rationing, so fruit, especially in winter, was a special treat.

It warms my heart to know there is someone else out there who enjoys the sentimental side of an orange in winter.

Unknown said...

It's not the 50's or Detroit, but I've gotten an orange in my stocking every year I've been home for Christmas (all but 3 in my life).
I should ask my mom and grandma this year about oranges when they was young.