Sunday, July 28, 2013

Girly Day


Although James did not finish kindergarten until the second week of June, May finished preschool at the end of . . . well, May.  So she and I relished our very last "Girly Day" - a day where James went to school for the full day and she and I were on our own.  We chose to visit Red Butte Garden and have a picnic.

I love how tactile May is with plants.  She examines the textures of the leaves and petals very closely, commenting on the differences between various plants.
Here she is pinching a flower, just to see what will happen.  Spoiler alert:  they do NOT bounce back.
 We stopped for a little snack in the rose garden.
We saw a bee.  Here's May getting her finger nice and close to it as she explains to me the importance of NOT touching said bee.  Ah, youth.
 She was an especially big fan of this crazy metal moose.
After settling down beside her on this swing, May asked me to sing.  We spent 20 minutes swinging and singing in the "fragrance garden" before she fell asleep.  It was absolutely adorable.
 Here's May smelling herbs in the fragrance garden.
 This giant snake mouth gave her pause.
 But she was a champ at the stepping stones.
 And at stepping on giant lizards.
After nearly 4 hours at the garden it was time to pick up some mac n' cheese and head to the park for a well-deserved lunch.

As we gear up for fall (ACK!) I am reminded that we will no longer have luxurious Girly Days, as May will be going to school five days a week and I will be working part time.  I am trying hard to be brave about this. 

No comments: