James' 5th Birthday Party!
It will be hard to say goodbye to my four-year-old boy, but we're gearing up to welcome a five-year-old little man. Today was his birthday party. We put him in charge of generating the theme, menu, and activities and he came up with: Day Time Pajama Party!
The welcoming craft was a tie-dye station for pillowcases. The kids did a great job of not ruining my white kitchen! Honestly, they were awesome listeners and it really helped to have them do this one at a time upon arrival.
When all our guests were done with their craft, it was time to move downstairs for a screening of "Gnomeo and Juliette" on the projector. We had some balloons and pillows strewn around for atmosphere.
While the kids were watching their show I packaged up their pillowcases into ziplocs that I had already labeled with their names as well as instructions for their parents on rinsing and washing their tie-dye. Then, it was time to cook.
In line with the pajama theme, James asked for pancakes, scrambled eggs, melon and (vegetarian) sausage. Although not everyone was excited for melon and sausage, not a soul turned down the pancakes. Orange and apple juice was a nice accompanying drink and a refreshing change from the soda that usually reigns supreme at parties.
While Chad cleaned up the breakfast mess (thanks, Honey!) I led the kids in a half-a-dozen rounds of Hullabaloo - a Cranium game with lots of stepping on mats, making funny noises and taking dance breaks. The best part, I think just about everyone had a chance to be a winner.
Then it was cupcake time (in this picture we are still singing so only James has a cupcake, but rest assured everyone else got one, too). Although I'm a fan of homemade cakes, James chose chocolate and vanilla Smurf cupcakes from Walmart this year. I must admit, it was really nice having one less thing to bake!
Then came the opening and enjoying of presents. James was thrilled to receive a wide variety of incredibly thoughtful gifts. He got some toys as well as some craft kits and a book. The parents we know are simply the best. Soon after, the kids went home with their pillowcases in a bag and their Smurf rings.
I was able to rinse and wash James' pillowcase in the afternoon. Here he is ready for bed in a new set of Jammies and his brand new pillowcase. I can't think of a more laid back birthday that was also so enjoyable and affordable. It really is nice when Chad and I can enjoy James' party as much as he does!
2 comments:
I think "day time PJ party" may be the best theme I've heard in a while. I just might have to steal that for myself (though I'll be honest, every weekend is a daytime PJ party!). I'm happy to hear James had a great party. Can't believe he's already 5!!
5 already? That's crazy. He shows so much maturity in his choice of theme. As an adult, currently, I know I enjoy my pj's in the daytime. They grow up so fast.
Post a Comment