Monday, October 19, 2009

Big Shoes to Fill

It's hard for me to truly understand that I was once an infant like May. I watch her learn and grow, I dress her in her frilly pink outfits. I see her interact with her older brother. I dream of the things to come for her.
And throughout it all in the back of my mind, I wonder if my mother had these same thoughts and observations about me. I wonder if May acts like me at all as a baby. If she and James resemble Erik and I in any way. What it was about having a daughter that was most exciting for my mom, and most daunting. I feel very disappointed that my mother could not be here to talk to me about her granddaughter, and to tell me how it was for her.
I am also keenly aware that it is up to me to pass on the women stories - my grandmother's factory job and how it got in the way of her and my grandfather's courtship. My mother's experience with her first mother-in-law and her realization that she needed someplace in the house that was her own domain. It will also be up to me to explain the importance of and pass on to May my grandmother's silver, china hutch, and mother's china. I have a lot of responsibility to May, to help her to understand where she comes from in the long line of strong women of our family, and I hope that when the time comes she is ready to listen.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I am sitting here wiping away tears. I saw that cute picture of tiny May in giant shoes and was expecting a different caption. You are an amazing mother...and woman Krissy! May is so blessed to have you to help guide her! =)

Unknown said...

Well said, Jen.
May could not be in better hands to see how strong women can be. She (and James, too) is very lucky to have you.

M

Patty Girl said...

The good part is that as you are passing on all these stories and memories you will be thinking about your mom and grandma frequently. That will help you feel close to them. May is so lucky to have you as her example!