Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Invalid Entertainment

Having sick kids over Halloween was a challenge for me. I still wanted them to have fun, and May was less sick than James, and so easily got bored with too much sitting still. We started our day with a batch of "Monster Pancakes" - pancakes with banana chunks.
Then we became mad scientists, hatching sponge animals from capsules.

After that, puzzle time.
The kids were very proud of themselves, and they should be!
Next we snacked and watched the Sesame Street Movie "Abbie in Wonderland." After the show came baths, lunch, and naps.
After nap time the kids got to work on a Halloween activity/coloring book while waiting for Daddy to come home so we could trick-or-treat.
The next day James was doing much better but May was worse. After breakfast we freed sea creatures stuck in ice cubes.
It was a fun, but cold activity so they went straight to baths afterwards.
After baths we played trains for the rest of the morning.
After naps we had a movie afternoon on the couch.

I was really burnt out after two days of at home sick-kid-ness. It was a lot more work than my usual days, and what was worse was watching the housekeeping suffer. It was the first time in a very long while (since James' colic days, actually) that I really felt the sting of living so far from any family. Still, we made it through and our little family is stronger for it.

I would still love any sick-day tips you all might have, though, as I'm sure we're in for a long, germ-y winter.

No comments: