Sunday, November 6, 2011

Scarecrow

What with all the Halloween/Fall decorations and stories, the kids have become pretty enamored of scarecrows. James asked if we could make a scarecrow. Although I was a bit apprehensive about the whole affair, I asked for some time to figure out if we could pull it off. I finally gave it a shot. First we gathered some old clothes together and cut lengths of yarn for tying off the openings.
Then we stuffed the clothing with leaves (conveniently all over our yard at the moment).
Then. Well, then we had to find a very big stick. And dig a hole for poking the stick into. Here you can see May with her garden spade, ready to help. (Notice that during leaf-stuffing the kids realized how cold fall can be and decided to put on their jackets for the rest of our project.)
Finally, we cut the bottom out of May's school pumpkin (which she made a face on with glue and glitter) and assembled our scarecrow amongst the dead ferns of our front garden. The kids seemed pretty happy with the outcome and I have to admit to a bit of pride in seeing through this project that had the potential to be an absolute failure.

Happy Fall!

No comments: