Monday, February 27, 2012

Budding Artist

I have recently transformed our Art Cart into a flours/starches cart, moving our art supplies out to the dining room shelf. The new location has really caught the kids' attention, as more and more often they are the ones who request to do art, rather than waiting for me to suggest it.

The other day May was at school and I explained to James that he would need to occupy himself while I cleaned the kitchen. He asked if he could paint.
We got out some blue paints that he could mix and blend together and a large piece of cardboard. James set to work.
By the time he had finished this masterpiece, I had finished my chores.
But James was not interested in playing with me at all, instead he requested another art project: salt painting. He had fun squirting the glue, shaking out the salt, and dropping watercolor on his salt lines.
As he finished up one, he would ask to start another.
Until we had used every scrap of cardstock in our recycle bin.
By the time he had run out of supplies it was time to go pick May up from school. I was so touched to see James spend (literally!) hours on creating art and exploring shape and color. The best days are definitely when the kids themselves are the ones who come up with the activity.

No comments: